A Beka curriculum
Community of Faith offers an undiluted version of the A Beka curriculum. We do not diminish the effectiveness of this curriculum by using other curriculum. That way, our students realize the full impact of the curriculum and do not have any gaps or missing “puzzle pieces” as we call them. We have been using A Beka for 30 plus years, and our long history of high test scores is extraordinary.
Once we have habits and procedures established in the classroom, learning can take place. We establish a consistent structure in the classroom before diving into any curriculum. For K-3 – K-5 students, teachers focus on habits and procedures for the 1st two weeks of school. For all other grades, teachers focus on habits and procedures for the 1st two days of school.
Our goals for teaching Bible are:
- To win children to the Lord
- To train them to serve God
- That they would enjoy Bible class
We have a “heart” ministry with your children, and we aim to deal with attitudes and issues of the heart so that we can witness permanent changes in behavior. We teach your children how to pray, to thank God for things (all things come from God), to make their requests made unto God, to praise him for who He is, and to thank God for answered prayer.
In Math, we use the spiral approach and our goals are speed and accuracy.
- K-5 — the emphasis is number skills
- 1st — addition/subtraction facts 16 families
- 2nd — addition/subtraction facts 17-18 families
- 3rd — multiplication and division
- 4th — fractions
- 5th — decimals
- 6th — percents
- 7th — basic math with review-1st semester, Algebra 2nd semester
- 8th — algebra with only 9 weeks of basic arithmetic skills
Correlation of subjects
If the children are learning a phonics rule in phonics, the same rule is found in the spelling lesson, in language, penmanship and in reading. When a concept is taught, it is continually reviewed throughout the school year. Drill, repetition, and review are the beauty of the A Beka curriculum.
We teach phonics in six steps:
- Short vowels
- One vowel words
- Long vowel and two vowel words
- Special sounds
Spelling lists are phonetically based and tie in with the phonics lesson.
- K-5 — learn to read
- 1st — emphasis on word attack skill
- 2nd — emphasis on comprehension, reading/thinking skills, and inferences
- 3rd — students read to learn
- Starting in 3rd grade, emphasis is on reading/thinking skills, speed reading, vocabulary study and brief discussion on main idea with more detail
- K4-K5 — Phonics, cursive writing, beginnings of reading, language development and language enrichment are our main emphasis
- 1st — Phonics, cursive writing, improving reading skills, language is an introductory course, creative writing, book reports, spelling bee. During the second semester, they write little stories and book reports.
- 2nd —Continuation of phonics, cursive writing, improving reading skills, elementary language, creative writing, book reports, spelling bee, writing little stories and book reports
- 3rd — Prior to 3rd grade, students are learning to read. In 3rd grade they read to learn, beginning of grammar takes place, special projects requiring some research and report writing
- 4th — Grammar teaching really takes place. memorize grammar rules, creative writing, book reports, special projects that requires some research
- 5th-8th — The practical application is the writing process, creative writing, book reviews, current event reports, special assignments.
- Starting in 4th grade, students begin having special assignments which require them to:
- 1) Read and gather information
- 2) Think and plan
- 3) Write and re-write
- 4) Check and polish
- 5) Share their results
Health, history, and science
In 1st and 2nd grades, these books are used as readers.
In 3rd grade and up, the emphasis shifts from simply reading for enjoyment to reading to learn. Quizzes and tests begin to be administered. This marks a major change in the curriculum requirement. Study habits begin to take a more prominent place in the learning process. One must commit to memory many facts and details.